Vehicles are designed to have a lock and unlock system; whether manual or smart key. Automobile security architecture has further improved. Today, you can open your car doors without inserting a key into the unit. Most car owners crave this amazing feature on their vehicles. Sadly, they aren’t sure where to find the entry system.
This article explains how vehicle owners can locate and use the keyless entry unit hassle-free. Technology can’t offer a more fantastic user experience than this. First, here is the definition of a keyless entry module.
What is Keyless Entry Module and Where to locate it?
A keyless entry module is otherwise referred to as a remote keyless system. This smart system allows you to unlock and lock the doors to your vehicle without using a key. Most modern vehicles nowadays are equipped with a basic keyless entry system.
The technology includes a short-range remote transmitter. It is usually an electronic remote control placed in the keypad above your car lock.
Installing this feature will help you have an easy entrance into your car. This is especially critical when you need to open all the doors at the same time.
One thing I’ve noticed is that most car users have issues locating the keyless segment in their cars. This has to do with car models and designs.
For most vehicles, the keyless entry module is located at the left side of the steering column. Check the metal bracket directly above the fuse panel. The panel situates beneath the dash.
How Does Keyless Entry Work?
The keyless entry has a short range of between 5 to 20 meters radio transmitter. It is usually remote-controlled. Besides, it works in a way that if you push the button, it transmits a coded signal. It accomplishes this transmission through radio waves to a receiver unit in the vehicle. As a result, the doors can either lock or unlock.
Before this technology, infrared was in vogue in place of radio signals to unlock the car. Most sophisticated car brands, including BMW and Mercedez-Benz, still rely on this technology. Usually, most of these brands have a keyless setup that has to blare the horn. Alternatively, the setup has other sound chirps to indicate that the car’s locked.
If you Lexus and some other Toyota models, you’ll notice the chirp system. It typically shows the locked or unlocked state of the car. A double beep indicates that the driver’s door is unlocked. Fur chirps mean that all doors are unlocked. Also, one short honk tells that the car is locked and the alarm is set.
Apparently, your car’s keyless entry unit works in a way that it’s built into the ignition key handle itself. Its remote has dedicated buttons which lock and unlock the doors, and as well open the trunk. Apart from convenience, some remote keyless system features a red panic button. These buttons help activate the car’s alarm in case of an emergency.
How to Program a New Remote Keyless Entry Module
If your car does not have a keyless entry unit that is well programmed, then it’s essential that you program it. Remote keyless entry transmitters work magic. Though this process can take some time, it can be an easy task if you follow this 10-step guide.
- Step 1: Park your car on a level surface and turn off your car engine. Meanwhile, you need to have all the transmitters you will be programming ready.
- Step 2: Shift the key from one of the remote keyless entry units by pressing the button at the top of the transmitter.
- Step 3: Put the key into the car door lock on the outside of the driver’s side door. Then, then twist the key into the unlock position 5 times within ten seconds. Thereafter, look at your car dash. It will display ‘’Remote Learning Pending, Please Wait.’’
- Step 4: Wait for about 10 minutes. Check your vehicle dashboard again for a notification. The dash will display words like ‘’press the engine start button to learn.’’ As you follow this prompt, you can then press the ignition button.
- Step 5: You can repeat step four two times. By then, the vehicle has beeped three times. Now, all previously programmed transmitters will stop functioning. With this, in case any transmitter is missing, it will no longer work on your car.
- Step 6: Locate the keyless transmitter unit. It’s often found at the center console, just next to the power unit.
- Step 7: Take away the plastic trim from the transmitter unit. The unit should be showing the transmitter opening.
- Step 8: Thereafter, press the ignition button. This will in turn program the keyless transmitter.
- Step 9: Again, firmly hold the ignition button for about ten seconds. Allow it to be set up to a programming mode.
- Step 10: Finally, place the plastic trim back on the transmitter outlet spot. All the keyless transmitters will then get programmed.
Best Keyless Entry Module
The Banvie Car Keyless entry system readily comes in handy if you need a multi-car lock system. This remote-controlled system works on a wide range of vehicles. You can program it into Buick, Chevy, Cadillac, Toyota, and more. You can use it to lock and unlock your electrical and pneumatic central lock.
It’s a four-button remote-control transmitter. This tool signals 21-second negative output when you close the window. Besides, the central door locks automatically after 5 seconds. The door will unlock once you remove the key from the ignition. The operation is pretty seamless and quick.
- Easy and quick to use
- Compatible with a wide range of car models
- Unlock and lock central doors within seconds
- Durable and lasts long
- Doesn’t come with a fob
- Relatively pricey
The keyless entry module is an amazing feature for any vehicle, even as it has enormous benefits. It helps to offer security and safety for your car. In addition, it gives the car user the convenience of opening and locking the doors and trunk with ease.
I hope this article has been able to reveal where you can find your keyless unit. Plus, it also details how you can enhance the use of your car by programming a new remote keyless system. If you follow the steps I explained, you are sure to achieve your expected result.